Distributing Python Apps and MySQL

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Thu Apr 7 16:03:19 EDT 2005

rbt napisał(a):

> I don't think one can distribute mysql within a software package w/o
> buying a commercial license to do so. Check out their licensing on their
> website here:
>
> "When your application is not licensed under either the GPL-compatible
> Free Software License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or
> approved by OSI, and you intend to or you may distribute MySQL software,
> you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL product."
>
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html

Don't see any legal problem here, if package is on GPL-compatible or
OSI-approved license.

Anyway, if you want this "installer" to be multiplatform, I think you
should write one. There are many good installer software packages for
Windows (chief among free ones are Inno Setup and NSInstall), but I know
only one for linux platform -- the one that XFCE uses and I don't know
its internals, so I will speak only for Inno Setup for Windows.

It's really comprehensive tool set, as you can perform many tasks during
installation -- you can install subpackages, perform pre- and
post-installation steps and automate many tasks, providing they can be
scripted. See http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php and read
documentation, it's definitely worth this.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/ | http://www.zgodowie.org/