Name of IDLE on Linux

Edward Diener eldiener_no_spam_here at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 2 15:20:05 EST 2005

Jim Benson wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Edward Diener wrote:
>

>>What is the name of the IDLE program on Linux and where is it installed
>>in a normal Linux distribution ? I have installed all the Python 2.3.5
>>RPMs on my Fedora 3 system but I have no idea where they are installed
>>or what IDLE is called. I lloked in the Python web pages to try to find
>>a list of the files in the various installations, but was unable to find
>>the information.
>>

> Try idle (all lower case).
> On my RH-9 system it is in /usr/local/bin

Thanks. The system came with Python and the development libraries but
not with the latest installation and tools. Once I was able to install
all the latest Python RPM for Fedora 3, 'idle' showed up. Now all I have
to do is find everything else, including the latest documentation files.
It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not create folders
on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links to the Python to
the documentation and a readme telling me what executables were installed.