[newbie] Embedding Flash OCX object

Kartic removethis.kartic.krishnamurthy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 16:28:50 EDT 2005

The Great 'Exeem' uttered these words on 4/30/2005 11:37 AM:
> Kartic,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> I already use the wxPython to embbed my flash animation
>
> ###
> from wxPython.lib.activexwrapper import MakeActiveXClass
>
> ActiveXWrapper = MakeActiveXClass(flashActiveXLib.ShockwaveFlash,
> eventClass=None, eventObj=self)
>
> Flash = ActiveXWrapper( self, -1, style=wxSUNKEN_BORDER)
> ####
>
> It work fine and i can control my flash animation from Python without
> problem..
>
> But the Wrapper need the flash.ock to be installed on the user system in
> order to work,
> and i would like to make an executable application that include the
> flash.ocx or load it on startup for
> users who doesn't have the flash player installed.
> I would like also to be able to load a flash animation from memory and not
> to load it from external file.
>
> Don't know if you understand me.. Take a look at
> http://www.flashplayercontrol.com/ .. I'd like such a solution for Python,
> don't know if i can use that dll from Python or make a module myself..
>
> Anyway, thank a lot for your interest
>
> Dan

Dan,

Ah! I see what you are trying to do. While I don't have a working piece
of code to share with you, I can give you a few ideas that you could
consider:

1. Supply the Macromedia OCX with your app. Try to use the wxActivex
class and if that fails, register your copy of the OCX. You can do this
either using a batch file invoking regsvr32 or use Win32 to register.
The flip side: The flash will be loaded from a file rather than memory.

2. Wrap the flashplayercontrol.com's DLL in an Activex control using VB
and distribute your OCX. And then use wxActivex to access your OCX.

3. Use SWIG to generate Python bindings for the DLL. I have never done
this and I am sure some of the more erudite members of the newsgroup can
shed some light.

4. Call the supplied DLL using Ctypes. In this case, you can convert the
example under the "Features" link of that site in DLL calls using
Ctypes. Question: How will that integrate with wx?

Hope that helped a bit.

Thanks,
-Kartic