interactive web graphics

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 06:26:10 EDT 2005

Hello Michael,

Eckhoff, Michael A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I failed to locate a list for pygtk, so I thought I'd
> ask my question here. Is it possible to write CGI
> scripts that bring up a GUI (as in GTK+, QT, Tk, ...)
> or an openGL display that is windowed inside a web
> browser?
>
> The answer would seem to me to be no, since the
> client could be Windows or Linux. I'd like to
> display some pretty graphics (scientific visualisation),
> but web applications are not my background.
>
> I would like a form with progress bars, but I guess
> that would have to be implemented in some special way.
> Sorry if these questions are ill-posed; I am just
> getting my feet wet with python.

There is a simpler, but still non-trivial, way of adding server-client
interactivity - using javascript. If you are just moving square bars
around you could use the javascript XML http request functions and
dynamically change the images (including using PIL - and maybe some of
the graph generating stuff from 'pythonweb' web modules - to
dynamically generate images server side).

Best Regards,

Fuzzy
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python