boring the reader to death (wasRe: Lambda: the Ultimate DesignFlaw

Sat Apr 2 13:28:04 EST 2005

Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org>:
> | Sunnan wrote:
> | > ...Because what is "boring"? The opposite of dense, tense, intense. Utterly
> | > predictable; it's like the combination of all my prejudices. Even before
> | > I knew, I thought "Bet Python separates statements from expressions".
> |
> | Python is for terse, pithy prose; Python is not for poetry.
>
> That's an odd thing to say.  Poetry is verbose, florid?

No, poetry is to be read slowly and carefully, appreciating the nuance
at every point.  You should be able to read "past" python, while poetry
is at least as much about the form of the expression as it is about
what is being expressed.