A little request about spam

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser+python-list#python.org at sigpipe.cz
Thu Apr 14 11:14:58 EDT 2005

# ivanlan at pauahtun.org / 2005-04-14 09:06:08 -0600:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >
> > # ivanlan at pauahtun.org / 2005-04-14 08:22:48 -0600:
> > > The listowner could turn on the [PYTHON] headers.
> >
> >     I hope they don't.
> >

> What's your reasoning?

    It's 9 characters ("[PYTHON] ") of screen real estate wasted.
    Of course it's mail from the python-list, it has the appropriate
    List-Id header!

> > > As it stands now, it's too easy to decide incorrectly that
> > > "Subject: Inelegant" is a spamdunk.
> >
> >     Don't base your decisions (only) on subject then. Oh, and spam sent
> >     through the list would have the [PYTHON] space eater too, so what
> >     would it buy you?
>
> Of course I wouldn't base decisions _only_ on whether or not [PYTHON]
> appears in the subject.  But I ordinarily do base decisions on the whole
> subject line, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.  There's nothing
> else to go on without opening the message, and for HTML-based mail
> there's no surer way to let spammers know they've found a live email
> addres than to open it.  You know that.

    I have no problem opening HTML emails: I (intentionally) don't have
    a viewer for them configured in mutt which means I see their source.
    And I delete them all without reading.

    For Content-Type: multipart/alternative emails, the text/plain part
    is displayed, and I mostly don't even get to notice there's a html
    part. If the text/plain part says something hilarious, like "This
    is a MIME email, get a better email client" which I've seen in a spam,
    I get to laugh as well.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.