A little request about spam

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Thu Apr 14 11:06:08 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

> # ivanlan at pauahtun.org / 2005-04-14 08:22:48 -0600:
> > The listowner could turn on the [PYTHON] headers.
>
>     I hope they don't.

What's your reasoning?

> > I'm not using spambayes yet, although I'm leaning toward it, but that
> > step alone could save me some work when trying to decide based on
> > subject line alone whether or not an email is spam.  As it stands now,
> > it's too easy to decide incorrectly that "Subject: Inelegant" is a
> > spamdunk.
>
>     Don't base your decisions (only) on subject then. Oh, and spam sent
>     through the list would have the [PYTHON] space eater too, so what
>     would it buy you?

Of course I wouldn't base decisions _only_ on whether or not [PYTHON]
appears in the subject.  But I ordinarily do base decisions on the whole
subject line, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.  There's nothing
else to go on without opening the message, and for HTML-based mail
there's no surer way to let spammers know they've found a live email
addres than to open it.  You know that.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours