PyGTK vs. wxPython

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Apr 26 18:13:09 EDT 2005

On 2005-04-26, dcrespo <dcrespo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aparently, none of you has tried wxPython recently or properly.

Not so.  I'm using it currently and have been using it for a
couple years now.

> wxPython is a cross-platform toolkit. Currently supported platforms are
> 32-bit Microsoft Windows, most Unix or unix-like systems, and Macintosh
> OS X. Certainly, there may be Linux distributions where it doesn't run
> well...

I've no idea where that idea came from.  It runs just fine on
all the Linux distro's I've tried it on.

>> The PyGTK is a better choice if you are writing for Linux and
>> want your application to also be able to run on windows.
>
> I want exactly the opossite: my apps must be developed for
> running primarly under Windows but also be able to run on
> Linux.
>
> So, tell me PyGTK (with or without Glade/w XML output) or
> entirely Python code through wxPython? Truely, what's the best
> for CROSS-platform for both Linux and Windows? Not just for
> Linux or just for Windows, but for both.

Why don't you try them?  I've only used PyGTK under Linux, so I
can't vouche for it under Windows.  Under Linux it worked fine
for me.  I've used wxPython under Linux and deployed on
Windows.  Worked fine for me.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  If this is the DATING
                                  at               GAME I want to know your