A little request about spam

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Apr 16 17:51:05 EDT 2005

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at pauahtun.org> writes:
> Of course I wouldn't base decisions _only_ on whether or not [PYTHON]
> appears in the subject.  But I ordinarily do base decisions on the whole
> subject line, and I think that's perfectly reasonable.  There's nothing
> else to go on without opening the message, and for HTML-based mail
> there's no surer way to let spammers know they've found a live email
> addres than to open it.  You know that.

No, I don't. My mail reader has a separate "decode" step. I can open
HTML email, and see the HTML. Actually, I usually see the ascii
version of the HTML followed by the HTML. If I want to see the HTML, I
have to tell the reader to "decode" the mail. Then it renders the HTML.

Further, I have the HTML renderer set to *not* fetch inline objects
unless/until I click on them. So even rendering the HTML won't tell
spammers anything.

In short - your mail reader needs an upgrade.

   <mike