sys.setdefaultencoding(name)

Harald Massa cpl.19.ghum at spamgourmet.com
Sat Sep 18 10:26:22 EDT 2004

Askari,

> When I use the method ".get"  from a widget (Text, Entry), the string
> returned is "fucked"...

That must be a virus or something. Encoding issues normally provide garbled
strings, but not the word "fucked". Somebody is playing jokes with you.

> I find, on net, that I must use "sys.setdefaultencoding(name)".

setdefaultencoding gets removed from sys after execution of site.py /
sitecustomize.py.

My solution is to grab site.py, dig up "default encoding" and change from
imperalistic ASCII to LATIN-1.

Some told me that avangarde persons also take UTF8.

Harald