making windows apps

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Fri Sep 10 13:57:35 EDT 2004

Zach Shutters writes:

>     I am new to python and working my way through the van
> Rossum tutorial. I am cursios though about if you can program
> windows with python?

Yes you can, in fact, no matter what you mean by "windows".

> I know I shouldn't worry about this
> right now but I am curious. If so, is there any recommended
> tutorials on this. I know I can search google but i figured I
> would see what some people who know the language well would
> recommend.

Well, now I need to know what you mean by "windows". I think you
mean you want to program a graphical user interface, in which
case you need to continue on with your tutorial for now but
then take good looks at the three main user-interface toolkits
for Python that are cross-platform:

+ Tkinter (included with Python, the easiest to learn and work
with).
+ wxPython (the best choice, but could be a steep learning curve
and the API is in rapid flux)
+ PyQt (the most polished, but licensing issues are abundant)

> One last thing, in order for a program I write in
> python to run on someones computer, they have to have the
> python interpreter installed?

Yes.

> And if so, wouldn't most people
> not have it installed since they wouldn't be programming in
> it.

Most if not all Linux and Macintosh systems come with Python
installed already. For Windows, it is an easy install. There
are also third-party utilities to wrap your Python program into
an executable, complete with the Python interpreter so no
separate install would be necessary. Google for 'py2exe' for a
start.

> I know this is probably an uber nube question, but that's
> what I am right now. Hopefully no one will get pissed off and
> give some smart ass comment about how stupid my question is
> (sorry but most of the time thats what I get when I post in a
> newsgroup lol)

Keep reading the tutorial, and refrain from asking stupid
questions, and you'll be fine. :)

--
Paul McNett
Independent Software Consultant