Anyone know anything named DX? (was Re: Announcing PyCs)

Leif K-Brooks eurleif at ecritters.biz
Tue Sep 7 03:26:48 EDT 2004

Roger Binns wrote:
> I did actually send an email to Google labs suggesting they come
> up with an "naming" tool where you could suggest what style of
> name you wanted (eg scientific, Italian, computery) and it would
> generate random strings of that form with no entries in the
> index.  They never responded.

That actually wouldn't be very hard to do on your own. You'd just have
to get long word (phrase?) lists for each type of name (and maybe a
general list that'd be used for all types), then use Markov Chains to
generate a name from one of the lists. Then check how many results you
get from the Google API, and generate a new one if there are any.

Maybe I'll try it next time I'm in the mood to code something random...