i am going to get crazy!!!

Elbert Lev elbertlev at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 06:37:32 EDT 2004

xv0017python at yahoo.com (andresm) wrote in message news:<4a9d4c93.0409141615.1d1ab0cb at posting.google.com>...
> I cant believe there is no single decent open source for python, all
> them miss some of the most core features an ide should have, i just
> cant believe this!!! I have been looking for a decent ide for one
> weak, i have tried all of them, all. the only kick ass one is ipython,
> but thats a shell that shows how an ide should be.
>
>  I come from a java background using eclipse, netbeans,intellij,etc
> and i realy liked to learn python =( , java sucks for tons of reasons,
> but i dont now what to do the most important feature of an ide is
> syntax coloring and "full code completion suport".
>
>  For example if i am learning how to use the sys module in my code and
> while i am writing like :
>
>       sys .
>
>    A list should appear showing me all the attributes of the module or
> class : variables,locals,globals,builtins,etc  and when i focus on one
> item for example " setprofile " method the documentation of the method
> should appear in another popup , that way i can learn  the libraries
> fast and in an interactive way. Is all i want in an ide ALL IDES have
> this. Why python ones dont ?  in spe you get everything that is in the
> namespace,not just the object before the dot triger,same in eric3, in
> komodo you get just the functions, no docs.
>
>  Whats wrong with my common sense?  all ides for php,java,c have this
> feature , is all i want to be able to program fast =( .
>
>  But i have to alt-tab to konsole to the ipython shell, type help(sys)
> , find the doc and info i need and go back to the editor again, is
> like 20 seconds comparing to 1 with code completion suport.
>
>  How do you guys program without a feature like this? that is the only
> reason i need an ide,  how do you remember all the methods names,
> parameters , attributes , classes, behavior while coding with an ide
> not suporting this tools? i wont memorize all of them =( is
> contraproducent if a tool can help, not to mention when learing new
> libraries, memorize again? or take 10 seconds every time you dont
> remember something to take the time to look into it?  What should i
> do? T_T

I agree with you. I find myself jumping from TextPad or vim to
PythonWin, because TextPad does not have help/autocompletion, but is
fast (not so vim or emax). PythonWin is slow but has a debugger and a
sort of semyfunctional help/autocompletion.

SPE looks good, but lacks debugger and project/workspace management.
In short: none of this tools does not come close to Visual C IDE.