DB-SIG wiki/moin? (was Re: Python and Sybase)

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 11:03:19 EDT 2004

[Alan Kennedy]
 >> When looking at the DB-SIG web page, although I can see a list of
 >> database modules there that support the DB-API in its different
 >> versions and levels, I can see no easy way for that list to be
 >> updated with the above sort of invaluable information.
 >
 >> Might it be a good idea to make at least part of the DB-SIG web
 >> page a wiki/moin? A moin works well in the web
 >> framework/templating arena, so perhaps it is also suitable for
 >> database modules?

[Skip Montanaro]
 > Go ahead and update the Python wiki:
 >
 >     http://www.python.org/moin
 >
 > culling whatever dynamic information you think approrpriate from the
 > existing db-sig pages.  Note that there are already several pages
 > with the word "database" in their titles.  Search at the bottom of any
 > page to find them.  It's likely one of them will be a better starting
 > place than a clean sheet of WikiPaper.
 >
 > Once you have something, let me know and I'll update the
 > topics/data/modules page to refer to it.  It would be extra helpful
 > if you could update a copy of this page:
 >
 >     http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.ht
 >
 > (note the lack of "ml" at the end) and shoot it to me.  If so, that
 > will simplify my job.

Thanks for all your work on the python.org website Skip.

When I first posed my question, the sort of thing that I had in mind was
a comparison matrix, something like I've done for HTTP proxies:-

http://www.xhaus.com/alan/python/proxies.html

On browsing around the existing python moin, I see that exactly what I
suggested is already there, namely

http://www.python.org/moin/DbApiModuleComparison

and

http://www.python.org/moin/ChoosingDatabase

Although the DbApiModuleComparison seems less than 100% complete, I
think that may be because a lot of people don't know that it's there, so
they don't update it.

Maybe a good solution would be to simply link the above pages from the
DB-SIG main page, so that they can be more easily found?

I would make two small changes to the structure of the Module comparison
page:-

1. Change the "ThreadSupport" column to instead refer to the much more
tightly defined "threadsafety" variable from the DB-API spec, i.e.
"Integer constant stating the level of thread safety the interface
supports."

2. Add a "Pure python" column to differentiate between modules that are
pure python (and thus potentially portable between pythons), and modules
that require a native layer in C or Java, etc.

regards,

--
alan kennedy