Xah Lee's Unixism

Alan Balmer albalmer at att.net
Thu Sep 2 14:55:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:32:09 +0200, "John Thingstad"
<john.thingstad at chello.no> wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:19:43 +0000 (UTC), Andre Majorel
><amajorel at teezer.fr> wrote:
>
>> On 2004-09-02, John Thingstad <john.thingstad at chello.no> wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that the NT kernel is not entirely stable yet really
>>> shouldn't supprise anyone. Afterall Unix has messed with it's
>>> kernel for 30 years.
>>
>> I feel compelled to point out that Linux achieved considerably
>> better stability after just a few years.
>>

>I feel compelled to replay that Linux is based on the Posix standard which
>is basically a recipie for writing unix. They did not write a new
>operating system. They implemented a tested and proven one.

Huh? Linux is only recently paying some attention to the POSIX
standards. I don't know the current level of compliance, though I'm
pretty sure that some parts of POSIX.4 have been implemented.

I wouldn't describe the POSIX standards as a "recipie for writing
unix", anyway.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting