Xah Lee's Unixism

David K. Wall dwall at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 2 16:58:34 EDT 2004

Alan Balmer <albalmer at att.net> wrote in message
<news:9pqej0tjtikajsa74c7a5el7quk49k053s at 4ax.com>:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:32:09 +0200, "John Thingstad"
><john.thingstad at chello.no> wrote:

>>I feel compelled to replay that Linux is based on the Posix
>>standard which is basically a recipie for writing unix. They did
>>not write a new operating system. They implemented a tested and
>>proven one.

> Huh? Linux is only recently paying some attention to the POSIX
> standards.

Linus deliberately tried to pay attention to the POSIX standard
almost as soon as he realized that his terminal emulator project
was turning into an OS. 1991 isn't all that long ago, but I'm
not sure I would refer to it as "recent" in this context.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1991Jul3.100050.9886%40klaava.Helsinki.FI