Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 05:42:19 EDT 2004

In article <20040904.2231.57679snz at dsl.co.uk>,
   bhk at dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) wrote:
>On Thursday, in article
>     <41371e5c$0$19723$61fed72c at news.rcn.com> jmfbahciv at aol.com
>     wrote:
>
>> In article <2mmdj0t6mjgif88en11skbo3n8uiuj46nc at 4ax.com>,
>>    Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
>> >MS has been borrowing code from Unix to create a real OS: TCP/IP;
>> >NTFS<-ffs; memory mapped files<-mmap.
>>
>> All right.  Now I'm mystified.  Why did they have to borrow code
>> from Unix?  They already had VMS.  ISTM, VMS had all of the
>> above.
>
>VMS (originally) most decidedly did NOT have either TCP/IP or NFS.

I thought VMS did get TCP/IP into it.  I don't know anything about
NFS.

>Indeed, it took many years before DEC [sorry, by then it was already
>d|i|g|i|t|a|l] had a TCP/IP stack available for VMS --- the dreaded heap
>of quivering jelly created by the Eunice idiots.
>
>Before that, people who needed TCP/IP on a Vax used various third-party
>solutions, such as the implementations from Carnegie-Mellon (CMU)

Sigh!  If CMU had it, I would have assumed it got hornshoed into
VMS.

> ..or
>Wollongong universities.  Then, of course, there was what many regarded
>as the best TCP/IP stack for VMS, MultiNet from TGV (Two Guys and a VAX).
>That product also included a working NFS implementation.

Boy, I sure remember a lot of TCP/IP talk over the walls.  However,
I don't seem to recall what was said nor when.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.