Xah Lee's Unixism

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk at dsl.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 18:31:37 EDT 2004

On Thursday, in article
     <41371e5c$0$19723$61fed72c at news.rcn.com> jmfbahciv at aol.com
     wrote:

> In article <2mmdj0t6mjgif88en11skbo3n8uiuj46nc at 4ax.com>,
>    Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid> wrote:
> >MS has been borrowing code from Unix to create a real OS: TCP/IP;
> >NTFS<-ffs; memory mapped files<-mmap.
>
> All right.  Now I'm mystified.  Why did they have to borrow code
> from Unix?  They already had VMS.  ISTM, VMS had all of the
> above.

VMS (originally) most decidedly did NOT have either TCP/IP or NFS.
Indeed, it took many years before DEC [sorry, by then it was already
d|i|g|i|t|a|l] had a TCP/IP stack available for VMS --- the dreaded heap
of quivering jelly created by the Eunice idiots.

Before that, people who needed TCP/IP on a Vax used various third-party
solutions, such as the implementations from Carnegie-Mellon (CMU) or
Wollongong universities.  Then, of course, there was what many regarded
as the best TCP/IP stack for VMS, MultiNet from TGV (Two Guys and a VAX).
That product also included a working NFS implementation.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                     bhk at dsl.co.uk
   "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-