about presicion

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Thu Sep 2 09:56:58 EDT 2004

Andrew Durdin <adurdin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:15:29 +0200, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > mensanator at aol.com <mensanator at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > I predict no need for tweaking.  I'm not sure what the support for the
> > MS SDK compiler is currently -- maybe somebody with more current Windows
> > knowledge can chime in?  It used to be that the free C compiler had no
> > optimization, thus the resulting gmpy would be substantially slower, but
> > I don't even know if that is still currently the case or not.
>
> No: "Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker.  These are the
> same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
> Professional!"

Yes, but the next bullet on the MS site says:

  C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard
  Template Library.  These are the same static-link libraries included
  with Visual Studio.

Note the "static-link" part.  I don't believe the free compiler comes
with support for building dynamically linked (to the C library)
applications, which is what Python extensions are.

-- David