file access in jythonc

John Howard python473 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 13:05:48 EDT 2004

python473 at yahoo.com (John Howard) wrote in message news:<9eabe547.0409011314.77bcc7b5 at posting.google.com>...
> Alan Kennedy <alanmk at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<iQkZc.26276$Z14.8357 at news.indigo.ie>...
> > [John Howard]
> > > So does that mean that a jre does not have to be on the local pc?
> >
> > No: there *must* be a JRE on the local PC: how could the java/jython run
> > at all without an execution environment?
> >
> > The JRE on the local PC is the very thing that is preventing you from
> > reading files from local drives.
> >
> > If you want to, you can permit any and all applet to load files from
> > your local drive. In Internet Explorer, select
> > "Tools->Options"->Security->Custom Level->Microsoft VM->Java
> > Permissions->Custom->Java Custom Settings.
> >
> > In that control panel you can disable all of the protections that your
> > browser puts in place to protect you from hostile applets on the
> > Internet at large. Feel free to dismantle those security barriers, at
> > your own risk: by doing so you're opening the contents of your hard-disk
> > to the world. I Hope you're not storing any private or sensitive
> > information on there.
> >
> > > The local pc does not have to set policies, etc.
> >
> > No, that's precisely where you set policies. Where else could they be set?
> >
> > Alternatively, as others have pointed out multiple times, you can
> > digitally sign your applets so that they can be recognized and thus
> > given more permissions than unknown applets.
>
> I said jre, but meant jvm. But your answer is revealing also! From
> what you are saying, it is NOT possible to have a html page that can
> access a local file unless at least a jre is present. Again, not good.
> I think I'll just write the whole project in C. Forget jython!

You know, maybe I am making too much of this. I am thinking - if a jre
is there, why not just run the program as a java program?! Just have
the client load the jre and that should do it. Am I not correct?
Having thought the whole C thing over, python is still the way to go.
I apologise for being so nasty. I really did not mean to offend
anyone. You took time to respond and I do appreciate it.

Thanks!!