Comparioson of purpose for PyGUI and AnyGUI ???

Francesco Bochicchio bockman at virgilio.it
Sat Sep 18 03:53:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:41:45 -0700, Chris Barker wrote:

> PyGUI looks like a wonderful project, the kind of GUI framework that
> should have come with Python ages ago. Let's face it, would TCL have
> ANYTHING like it's current popularity if it hadn't been for TK? It
> seems to me that AnyGUI is trying to be for Python what TK is for TCL,
> a real, native toolkit makde to work well with the language.

Personally, I like the fact that Python does not come with its own GUI
toolkit but has modules which adapt to the various existing toolkits.
What I would like to see is someting akin to what has been recently
achieved for database interfaces: propose a standard API, and have all
toolkits extentions implement that (maybe with hooks for access to the
native toolkit  the people that _must_ use such-and-such uncommon
feature of toolkit X ).
Technically, it should not be so much difficult (wxWidgets, among others,
realised something similar, but at the price of adding an extra library
layer). The real challenge is to make the devlopers of the various
extensions agree on the 'best' GUI API.