Comparioson of purpose for PyGUI and AnyGUI ???

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 17 02:29:31 EDT 2004

Chris Barker wrote:
> One thing that isn't clear to me about PyGUI is how much they intend
> to leverage the underlying toolkits. wxWidgets (and thus wxPython)
> make use of a lot of higer level widgets like the tree controls, using
> the native ones in  the underlying toolkits. This makes apps look very
> native, but does create a very difficult problem in cross platform
> compatibility.

Yes. Ideally I would like to make use of the native widgets as
much as possible, to maximise both performance and authenticity
of look & feel. But this can limit what it is possible to provide
due to having to take the intersection of several different
toolkits.

Maybe I will be able to use native functionality where it is
available and provide Python-implemented fallbacks for when
it isn't.

> AnyGUI wxPython is a python wrapper around a SWIG wrapper around a C++
> wrapper around a set of native toolkits.
>
> AnyGUI TKinter is a python wrapper around a python wrapper around a
> TCL toolkit, written in C that emulates X on non-X platforms.
>
> Doesn't this seem a bit much?

Yep, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid
with PyGUI!

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,