debug build: import problem

benevilent at optusnet.com.au benevilent at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 14 07:23:11 EDT 2004

Hey,

I have made a Python build with the flag --with-pydebug. When I try to
import modules such as NumPy's multiarray.so, I get errors like the
following:

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.py", line 91, in
?
    import multiarray
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so:
undefined symbol: Py_InitModule4

I presume this means that a debug build of python uses a different
function for initialising a python module. Is it possible to avoid the
situation where each module not included within the Python distribuition
requires explicit support such that it can be used with a debug build of
Python?

Thanks,
Laurie