"Content-Length" header

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 1 12:11:25 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Peter Kleiweg wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Bowers schreef:
>>
>>> Both cases: 52 ^ 8: 53,459,728,531,456 (53 trillion)
>
>  >

>> A bit less: 53 billion
>>
>>> One case  : 26 ^ 8: 208,827,064,576 (208 billion)
>>

>> 208 billiard
>

> North American English says twelve zeroes is a trillion,
> and nine zeroes is a billion, and the word "billiard"
> refers to a game involving the use of a stick to hit a
> white ball into other balls on a table covered with
> green felt...
>
> (And I'm not sure "billiard" refers to numbers in any other
> form of English either, but certainly "milliard" exists
> in Britain and means a thousand million (nine zeroes).)

Billiards, not to be confused with snooker, is a game for two players
played with two white balls and a color (usually black, IIRC). It's
played on a billiard table (which is the same as a snooker table). The
scoring shots I can remember are:

1. Pocketing an object ball by hitting it with the cue ball (the one
that is struck).

2. A "cannon", where the cue ball hits first one object ball and then
the other; and

3. "In off", where the cue ball strikes an object ball before entering a
pocket.

It can be quite a cerebral game, and a good billiards player can rack up
a large break (despite the fact the pocketing and in off score 1 and a
cannon scores 2).

mobile-mine-of-useless-information-ly y'rs  - steve