Python Webstart ?

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Fri Sep 17 15:21:12 EDT 2004

huy wrote:
> Just wondering if there were any plans (or existing projects) similar to
> Java webstart for Python. I think this would be a boon for python. I
> would love to start my new project using Python but the deployment (and
> long term upgrading) factor is a major itch which pyfreeze and py2exe
> just doesn't scratch properly.

One quick solution would be to install a cvs client together with
python. This would update just those files that have changed. Your
clients could even rollback to an earlier release should there be any
problems.

It doesn't have to be cvs. Some of the newer source code control systems
  have the ability to update through HTTP, should there be some
restrictions because of a firewall.

A command line client would be quite enough as you would be calling it
from your program anyway. There is no need for your clients to learn
anything about it.

Daniel