Python Webstart ?

huy nytimes at swiftdsl.com.au
Fri Sep 17 20:51:25 EDT 2004

Istvan Albert wrote:

> John Fabiani wrote:
>
>> Actually it's very useful.  In the Java world you can set a central
>> location
>> that a webstart program checks for possible updates.  It's very cool.
>

> Only that it doesn't really work in practice. Read more here:
>
> http://www.dynamicobjects.com/d2r/archives/2004_07_09.html
>

> Istvan

Thanks for the link Istvan. The article is very informative, but I'm
afraid I've used JWS extensively without such troubles. It's all about
training and managing user expectation. We had a very smooth rollout and
seamless upgrades now are paying many times over for the initial
investment in particular management of the initial installation.

Read the comments, there are some great tips on making it work. As I
said in my other posts. It isn't the initial automated installation
which is most important to me, but the longer term automatic upgrading
(which happens much more frequent over the years).

Huy