classes and standard modules

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Thu Sep 16 22:28:02 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:47:52 -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> Anyway, because I don't understand classes well, I avoid using them.
> However, many modules in the standard library are implemented as
> classes: sgmllib, HTMLParser, etc. Is it possible to use these modules
> without getting into OO programming and inheritance and all the other
> lofty, theoretical CS concepts that small script writers, like me, don't
> really need?

Yes.

Without further information it is hard to add anything to the examples
that accompany the various libraries.

A couple people may jump in here to describe classes again; I'm going to
instead suggest just using Python for a while and taking a crack at it
again later when you've used more Python. For some pragmatically-minded
types of people, it is much easier to describe how classes work when we
have something concrete to point at. Later on, post some code you're
wondering about and ask questions (as specific as possible) and we'll be
happy to help.