How to go about developing in zope

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 05:51:32 EDT 2004

Hi John,

> I am developing a timesheet system.
> It will have 3 levels of access
> 1)Administrator
> 2)Approver -- Will approve or reject the timesheet filled by employees
> 3)Employees -- Fill in the timesheet which will ontain info like start
> time & end for task & task description.
> There will be different projects with different employees & approvers
> Also I need to genrate reports like timesheet for an employee for this
> particular week or month.Or timesheet of a project etc..
 >
 > Is zope suitable for such kind of application?
 > I read the zope book & now I am more confused.
 > What is the best way to develop such kinda application in zope?
By coincidence, I was looking at the source code of a product related to
your requirements:
http://www.zope.org/Members/runyaga/ZTimesheet

This is a clone, which I haven't looked at:
http://zope.org/Members/Nielssteenkrogh/My_projects/ZTIMEPROJECT

You could look also at the source code of my JMBoring product. It may
help you developing your zope python based product:
http://zope.org/Members/jmeile/JMBoring

Some useful links, which I think are the guidelines you must read before
developing your python product:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZDG/current/index_html
http://www.zope.org/Members/gtk/Boring/HowTo-Boring
http://www.zope.org/Members/maxm/HowTo/minimal_01/
http://www.zope.org/Members/Zen/howto/ZPT_management

Some of them are old, but still apply to the current zope version.

I think the best way to develop such product is by using an external
database to store the data (for the zope interaction, you can use an
existent Zope Database Adapter - See the zope book for more info), doing
the interfaces with ZPT (Zope's Page Templates -> Don't use DTML), and
coding the logic on a python based product (forget about ZClasses)

Regards,
Josef

PS: Please in the future post your zope related questions to:
zope at zope.org

See info for subscription on: