Math errors in python

Richard Hanson me at privacy.net
Sun Sep 26 18:49:16 EDT 2004

[Connection working again...?]

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Richard Hanson <me at privacy.net> wrote:
> > (Alex mentioned you have a Fujitsu LifeBook -- I do, too, and like it
> > very much!)
>
> There are many 'series' of such "Lifebooks" nowadays -- it's become as
> un-descriptive as Sony's "Vaio" brand or IBM's "Thinkpad".  Anna's is a
> P-Series -- 10.5" wide-form screen, incredibly tiny, light, VERY
> long-lasting batteries.

Ahem. As I said ;-) in my reply to your post mentioning Anna's P2000
(in my MID: <lgebl0182hk6t0809ar3dh9925ptj5um5b at 4ax.com>), and in
earlier postings re 2.4x installation difficulties, mine is a Fujitsu
LifeBook P1120. (Sorry, Alex! I definitely *should* have mentioned the
model again -- I'm just beginning to appreciate the difficulty of even
*partially* keeping up with c.l.py. I'm learning, though. :-) )

In any event, the Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 has a 8.9" wide-format
screen, is 2.2lbs.-light with the smaller *very* long-lasting battery
and 2.5lbs.-light with the very, *very* long-lasting battery, and has
-- what tipped the scales, as it were, for my needs -- a touchscreen
and stylus.

> It was the _only_ non-Apple computer around at
> the local MacDay (I'm a Mac fan, and she attended too, to keep an eye on
> me I suspect...;-), yet it got nothing but admiring "ooh!"s from the
> crowd of design-obsessed Machies (Apple doesn't make any laptop smaller
> than 12", sigh...).

I can feel your pain. I would switch to Apple in a second if they had
such light models (and if I had the bucks ;-) ). I need a very light
machine for reasons specified earlier. (Okay, slightly reluctantly:
Explicit may be better even with *this* particular info -- I have
arthritis [ankylosing spondylitis] and need very light laptops to read
and write with. :-) )

> OBCLPY: Python runs just as wonderfully on her tiny P-Series as on my
> iBook, even though only Apple uses it within the OS itself;-)

ObC.l.pyFollow-up: Python also runs very well on my tinier ;-) P1120
with the Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 processor running at 800MHz and with
256MB RAM and a 256KB L2 on-chip cache -- even using Win2k. :-) It's
really nice not needing a fan on a laptop, as well -- even when
calculating Decimal's sqrt() to thousands of decimal places. ;-)

ObExplicit-metacomment: I'm only attempting a mixture of info *and*
levity. :-)

what?-men-arguing-about-whose-is-*tinier*?!'ly y'rs,
Richard Hanson

--
sick<PERI0D>old<P0INT>fart<PIE-DEC0-SYMB0L>newsguy<MARK>com