OT: DeviceNet via Python (was Re: It's in Python. It just _works_!)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Sep 3 09:29:48 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

 > On 2004-09-03, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
 >>Grant, could you say anything about what gadgets were involved
 >>that let you talk to DeviceNet with Python?  Did it have a
 >>serial port, or talk TCP directly, or something else?
 >
 > I use a USB/CAN interface from PEAK-System Technik GmbH.
[snip]

Thanks so much for that detailed description!  I've
filed it for reference the next time we have to talk
CAN to something, and passed it on to a number of
people.

Our own approach used a CAN4USB device from Zanthic
Technologies, and talked to a Windows DLL using calldll.
We had also experimented with a plug-in card from a
German company (different one, I think), but that
didn't work out as well.

I'm curious if anyone has yet contrived a working
solution for both Linux and Windows...  Zanthic
didn't have a Linux driver for theirs, and I don't
know what the API would have been to talk to it
from Linux.

-Peter