Xah Lee's Unixism

Morten Reistad firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0
Tue Sep 7 12:18:33 EDT 2004

In article <413daee5$0$6932$61fed72c at news.rcn.com>,  <jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:
>In article <1s4ihc.4i4.ln at via.reistad.priv.no>,
>   Morten Reistad <firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0> wrote:
>>In article <413c5b9c$0$19705$61fed72c at news.rcn.com>,
>> <jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:
>>>In article <rv1hhc.mtv2.ln at via.reistad.priv.no>,
>>>   Morten Reistad <firstname at lastname.pr1v.n0> wrote:
>>
>>1995 was the year everyone and Bill Gates discovered the Internet
>>existed; and wanted in on the deal. Suddenly everyone needed Internet
>>solutions.
>
>I knew the Internet existed when I started reading the ads in the
>WSJ and they had this strange arrangement of characters that
>began with www.  At first, there were only a few.  _One_ year
>later there were  lot.  Less than two years later, everybody had
>one.  I watch ads to foretell trends.

I knew we had succeeded in making the Internet mainstream when
I saw that the plane I was about to board had the URL I made for
them written along the entire plane in 2 meter high letters.

And we had to do a hard sell for the Internet bit. 2 years later more
than 50% of their tickets were sold over the Internet.

>>>Since TCP/IP was in the 90s, I couldn't have heard about it
>>>over the wall (I think I stopped working in 1987).  I could
>>>swear that cybercurd meant something.
>>>
>>>ISTR, the -20 types yakking about it.
>>
>>TCP/IP was launched in 1982, and the Internet (or the Arpanet, rather)
>>converted Jan 1st 1983; with final NCP service turned off everywhere
>>by mid march 1983.
>
>Aha!  Whew!  Then my memory isn't completely gone.  If it was
>launched in 1982, then they had to have been yakking about it
>in 1980 and 1981.

The period 1978-1982 was the intense design phase of the infrastructure
of the modern Internet. It would have been on the mind of IT engineers
worldwide.

>>Tops20 has an IP package; but it was pretty rudimentary in version 4,
>>and not quite complete even by those standards even in version 7.
>
>Version 4 and version 7 were way after 1980.

Yep, but it was in version 4 there was real TCP/IP support. ISTR there
was a retrofit to a late version 3; but that was made after V4 was out.
This version more or less depended on other boxes, just like a PC does
today. "Real" TCP/IP came out in V7 (or possibly late V6. I more or
less skipped the entire V6 of Tops20).

.. mrr