Xah Lee's Unixism

Paul Repacholi prep at prep.synonet.com
Fri Sep 3 14:28:40 EDT 2004

jmfbahciv at aol.com writes:

> In article <ApudnfQdCY-dfavcRVn-pQ at speakeasy.net>,
>    rpw3 at rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
>><jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:
>>+---------------

>>| Well, not quite :-).  COPY and DELETE called PIP via a CCL
>>| command.  DIRECT became its own program.  To do a directory
>>| using PIP required a switch and wasn't a monitor level command.
>>+---------------

>>Yes, I knew that. What I was trying to convey is that the *names*
>>of those DOS commands had also been copied from the DEC lineages.
>>That is, COPY/DEL/DIR rather than cp/rm/ls.

They are not DOS commands, thay are CPM commands that just happened
to report for duty in redmondia.

> IIRC, those verbs didn't show up until after 4S72 of TOPS-10 (it
> wasn't TOPS-10 back then either).  I would also suspect that the PIP
> didn't originate at DEC either.  A lot of those guys did work at MIT
> before they coalasced into a startup company.

All of them where in the 4.x monitir I used. many of the 427 source file
are on Tim's site, so you can have a look in COMTAB and see.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.