Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 07:49:43 EDT 2004

In article <ApudnfQdCY-dfavcRVn-pQ at speakeasy.net>,
   rpw3 at rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
><jmfbahciv at aol.com> wrote:
>+---------------
>| >+---------------
>| >
>| >Indeed. And COPY & DEL & DIR, etc.
>|
>| Well, not quite :-).  COPY and DELETE called PIP via a CCL
>| command.  DIRECT became its own program.  To do a directory
>| using PIP required a switch and wasn't a monitor level command.
>+---------------
>
>Yes, I knew that. What I was trying to convey is that the *names*
>of those DOS commands had also been copied from the DEC lineages.
>That is, COPY/DEL/DIR rather than cp/rm/ls.

IIRC, those verbs didn't show up until after 4S72 of TOPS-10 (it
wasn't TOPS-10 back then either).  I would also suspect that
the PIP didn't originate at DEC either.  A lot of those guys
did work at MIT before they coalasced into a startup company.

My whole point is that attributing who started it is not
as interesting as how the "it" flowed through the biz.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.