Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Wed Sep 15 09:21:47 EDT 2004

Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:25:57 +0200, Frithiof Andreas Jensen
> <frithiof.jensen at die_spammer_die.ericsson.com> wrote:
>> [comments about session management]
>>
>> The newer graphics cards such as the plain vanilla NVIDIA GF 2 MX, comes
>> with such a functionality: N-View.
>
> Well, I was thinking about something a little more complex, and that
> would demand support from the individual applications. I've commented
> it elsewhere earlier today; it's about having named sessions that
> could be saved or resumed at will. For example, I'm a preparing a
> presentation. I have the presentation software and a drawing program
> opened; Firefox is also open with a dozen of pages for my research.
> Instead of just saving the presentation, I would like to save the
> entire context of what I was doing -- this way, I can resume it later
> frm exactly the same point where I left it. Once saved, I can resume
> any other session that I've opened before, and so on...

I guess I heard something like that from a client of mine.  He told me
about Sun X Terminals with memory cards.  You plug your card and there
you are.  You go out for lunch, take your card with you, and when you
come back you can choose any other workstation available: just plug your
card and resume your work.

> Of course, for it to work I would need a new machine :-)

There's already some support for it in KDE.  It always opens the
programs I was running before exiting and for the ones with support, it
even opens the locations (e.g. directories on konsoles I have, tabs on
Firefox/Mozilla, etc.).

--
Godoy.     <godoy at ieee.org>