Xah Lee's Unixism

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk at dsl.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 13:58:29 EDT 2004

On Sunday, in article
     <413af268$0$19706$61fed72c at news.rcn.com> jmfbahciv at aol.com
     wrote:

> In article <20040904.2231.57679snz at dsl.co.uk>,
>    bhk at dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) wrote:
> >
> >VMS (originally) most decidedly did NOT have either TCP/IP or NFS.
>
> I thought VMS did get TCP/IP into it.  I don't know anything about
> NFS.
>
> >Indeed, it took many years before DEC [sorry, by then it was already
> >d|i|g|i|t|a|l] had a TCP/IP stack available for VMS --- the dreaded heap
> >of quivering jelly created by the Eunice idiots.
> >
> >Before that, people who needed TCP/IP on a Vax used various third-party
> >solutions, such as the implementations from Carnegie-Mellon (CMU)
>
> Sigh!  If CMU had it, I would have assumed it got hornshoed into
> VMS.

CMU's implementation did not get added to VMS.  It was, however, widely
used, because (IIRC) academic sites could get it at a very low cost.

Digital themselves didn't have any TCP/IP support until the release of
"TCP/IP Services for Vax/VMS", which was written by the Unix-end of
Digital, and was *really* cruddy.  This didn't happen until the
mid-1990s, anyway.

Hence why most folks, if they could afford it (it was by no means cheap),
bought MultiNet.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                     bhk at dsl.co.uk
   "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-