Xah Lee's Unixism

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk at dsl.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 17:04:52 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, in article
     <qsdrj0dl4qi558bopev159fg4m7rn6mfoq at 4ax.com>
     Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.Invalid "Brian Inglis" wrote:

> I was never aware that DEC offered TCP/IP.

You'll have seen my later post about "TCP/IP Services for Vax/VMS"
(which, a niggle tells me, had a different name, either before or after).
This was written by the Unix developers at DEC, and consequently was very
kuldgy and astonishingly badly-documented (for those of us used to the
high quality of VMS documentation).

Did you never see a

prompt?

> Politics and not timing was why TCP/IP didn't get into VMS:
> d|i|g|i|t|a|l backed the European horse that never ran as it fitted
> better with their network hardware capabilities and DECnet plans.
> It also meant they did not have to deal with those BBN guys that had
> developed a competing OS and network.
> They had whole suites of products layered on top of DECnet that were
> sold to European governments and contractors.

Can you say "Colour Book Software"? :-(

(Mind you, unattended file transfer running overnight beats FTP hands
down.)

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                     bhk at dsl.co.uk
   "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-