Python or 4NT? With a question or two about popen()

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Mon Sep 13 09:26:37 EDT 2004

* Jaime Wyant (2004-09-13 14:56 +0200)
> At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I'm gonna suggest cygwin.  In
> particular, the bash shell is really well suited for running
> "automated" CLI tests.  Be aware though that bash syntax is really
> cryptic [...]

Cryptic compared to Python syntax but a lot more readable than Windows
cmd.exe syntax.

> If you do decide to do bash, do a google on "advanced bash tutorial".
> That ought to point you to a really nice tutorial.

* Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
  http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/abs-guide-2.8.tar.bz2
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf

I'd consider IPython (state-of-the-art replacement for basic Python
CLI) in "shell mode" ("This profile turns IPython into a lightweight
system shell with python syntax").

Thorsten