Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Thu Sep 2 00:17:36 EDT 2004

On 01 Sep 2004 23:38:52 +0300, Ville Vainio wrote:

>     Mark> On 01 Sep 2004 00:47:40 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:
>     >> Mark Hahn <mark at prothon.org> writes:
>
>     >>> I would have agreed with you before I saw the details of the
>     >>> C-Omega language.  Check out this paper on how XML and SQL are
>     >>> handled directly in the language:
>
>     >> Yuck, Javascript handled those tasks just fine, it seemed to me.
>
>     Mark> Did you actually read the paper?
>
> And I'd like to ask whether you've checked out David Mertz's
> gnosis.xml.objectify?
>
> To me, X# seems mostly like naive buzzword chasing - or a research
> project that exists because someone needed a research project.

X# seems like groundbreaking work to me.  It reminds me of the utility of
regular expressions but for XML and SQL.

> If you want to do something that could be worthwhile to a larger
> number of people, add static type declarations to IronPython. There
> you could really be pioneering stuff that will be in py3k.

PyCs DOES offer optional static type declarations and many other things
from "Python 3000".  Check out the website.

> X# sounds
> more like perl7, with snowballs chance in hell of being adopted by any
> future python iteration.

Don't forget that reular expressions were in Perl first also and they are
used heavily in Python.