Don't let your babies grow up to be programmers (was: up with PyGUI!)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Thu Sep 23 10:08:11 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.3701.1095836355.5135.python-list at python.org>,
Cliff Wells  <clifford.wells at comcast.net> wrote:
			.
		[long lament about
		loss of good life
		for US programmers]
			.
>This may be so.  Of course I expect the U.S. job market for software
>development will be gone by then (or simply seen as a good first job for
>students before they can get a better job at Walmart).
>
>> I also expect increasing numbers of US knowledge/information
>> workers with portable skills to take advantage of the distortions while
>> they last.
>
>Well, I've certainly considered other lines of work, if that's what you
>mean.
			.
			.
			.
It's worse than that, Cliff:  there's serious reason to fear
that non-price factors might soon work *against* us in the US,
almost as much as they have for us in the past.  I see this
running along a couple of lines:
*) "security"-related and DRM-IP-enforcing
   export restrictions directly interfere
   with our ability to deliver internation-
   ally; and
*) MS hasn't been alone in habituating
   international customers to associate US
   software with expense and unreliability.