Microthreads without Stackless?

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Sat Sep 18 12:31:22 EDT 2004

Michael Sparks wrote:
 > I'm genuinely curious as to the answer to the
 > question I posed you - even/especially if it is "no, greenlets aren't
 > what I'm after" and why. Including for example practical rather than
 > technical reasons - after all as far as I'm aware there isn't a
 > standalone package, and I've no idea if Armin Rigo intends to support
 > it as such.

As far as I've looked into Greenlets, I'd be happy with them if
they were in the standard Python distribution.  I face the same
resistance others do in getting Python (or any language other
than C/C++, Java or a Microsoft product) into projects.  Each
additional item to instal hurts my chances, plus I have to
support it.  I mostly support Windows, where Python version
changes of 0.1 or greater break extensions.

Finally, I think I understand the kind of stack-conjuring
required to make coroutines work, and it's well outside standard
Python's documented extension API.  I've been burned on that
kind of thing before.

--
--Bryan