DB-SIG wiki/moin? (was Re: Python and Sybase)

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 14:11:26 EDT 2004

[David Rysdam]
 >>What module is most recommended for accessing Sybase from Python?
 >>This one: http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/sybase/?

[Nelson Minar]
 > While we're here, is there a free module for accessing SQLServer
 > from Python? Last I checked this Sybase driver was the only option.

[Josh Close]
 > Pymssql is, but I don't think it's DB API-2.0 compliant.

[Moof]
 > Pywin32 (formerly win32all) has an odbc module which is DB-API 1.0
 > compliant.
 >
 > There's also adodbapi, which is DB-API 2.0 compliant.
 >
 > I haven't used the latter enough to work out if it's reasonably
 > useful. Idon't get on with the former very well, though.
 >
 > Oh, and non-free there's mxODBC, which also works under unix.
 >
 > Also from unix someone mentioned a module based on ODBTP, which
 > hasn't yet surfaced out in the wild.

Thanks to Josh and Moof for pointing out the other alternatives for
connecting to Sybase and MS-SQLServer.

When looking at the DB-SIG web page, although I can see a list of
database modules there that support the DB-API in its different versions
and levels, I can see no easy way for that list to be updated with the
above sort of invaluable information.

Might it be a good idea to make at least part of the DB-SIG web page a
wiki/moin? A moin works well in the web framework/templating arena, so
perhaps it is also suitable for database modules?

Regards,

Alan.