wxPython Not Ready for Commercial Use

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Sep 16 15:26:09 EDT 2004

Polerio Babao Jr.II wrote:

>Please correct me if im wrong.

I believe that you *are* wrong.

>One big problem came into my attention. The printing support.

Printing in a reliable cross-platform way is a hard problem, which is (I
believe) why the support in wxWidgets/wxPython is not up to the same
level as its screen-display support.  But there *are* (IMO) reasonable
solutions.

>But what if your client wanted to simulate the customized excel output

Presuming that you're targetting Windows,  there's a couple of solutions
here.  Perhaps the simplest would be to use either pythonCOM or
pyXLWriter ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxlwriter/ ) to get Excel
to handle the output for you.  I suspect that either of these methods
would be simpler than writing Excel-xml.

>I am targetting crystal report as my ideal reporting application.

Does Crystal Reports offer a COM automation API?  If so, you could use
*it* directly (via pythonCOM).

>... now I am trying to learn c++/qt to solve my gui and printing problem.

Seems to me that the effort involved here would be rather greater than
the effort involved in customizing your printing under wxPython.  And
while I don't know what sort of built-in printing support (if any) QT
may have, I don't think that changing languages gains you anything.  (At
worst, you can access the win32api printing calls directly from Python;
all that using c++ would gain you is a different selection of libraries,
which may or may not help very much.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International