Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Wed Sep 15 04:04:29 EDT 2004

Rob McCrea wrote:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm frustrated. My search for a good IDE to support my activities --

<snip>
Hello,

          This is just a small suggestion but one tool that you could
look at is jedit (http://www.jedit.org) - it often gets overlooked
because as it's written in java python people sometimes think it for
Jython only - not true my erstwhile friends!  It has a python plug-in
and can do highlighting, project management, feed the dog and more.  It
doesn't have a GUI designer but I understand you don't need that?

    Another IDE I use is Eclipse, I only use this for Java editing but I
heard somewhere that it has a Python plugin - eclipse is way more
complicated than jedit but if you learn how to use it there are
significant productivity gains (at least with Java!).

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn