Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Sep 14 17:56:50 EDT 2004

Rob McCrea wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
>> As Thomas is, I'm very curious why you would say that.
>
> If moving to anything after win98se, I would (of course?) suggest XP,
> but certainly not for a 500mHz with 64MB RAM.  "if it costs some
> performance" is a huge understatement.

Granted. :-)

> Maybe my personal summary is that there are only
> two Windows operating systems, 98SE and XPPro; all the others have been
> surpassed, IMHO.

Agreed there too.  (And while I said XP, I did mean XP Pro.)

> and lastly did not mention the term "dos-box" (even if said
> facetiously in regards to that certain perspective of mine), I can't
> imagine I would have tossed out my two cent.

I happen to spend a lot of time at the "DOS" console (actually,
I suppose it's whatever cmd.exe is, not command.com, but for
purposes of this post the differences are largely irrelevant)
and don't find it particular limited.  That's almost entirely,
however, because I've learned to depend very little on the tools
that I use, for a number of reasons.

I now work almost exclusively with Scite, Subversion (via
TortoiseSVN), and the console, and I'm at least as productive as
I ever was with a large array of much fancier tools at my
fingertips.  But my approach to development is rather different
from that used by those who would prefer a fancy IDE, and as to that:
to each his own. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter