Xah Lee's Unixism

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Sep 10 11:28:48 EDT 2004

On 2004-09-10, Alan Balmer <albalmer at att.net> wrote:

>>It's been revealed that here in British Columbia (that part of
>>Canada on the Pacific coast for those of you who are geographically
>>challenged), management of medical information has been farmed out
>>to a subsidiary of a U.S. corporation.  According to the Patriot Act,
>>the U.S. government is entitled to access these files, and anyone -
>>American or Canadian - who so much as mentions that they're doing it
>>can be thrown into a U.S. jail.
>
> Can you point to the relevant section(s) of the Act?
>
> Can you point to the international agreement which allows Canadian
> citizens to be thrown into US jails for the stated offense?

I know I shouldn't reply to threads like this, but I just can't
help it...

What makes you think that the current US government gives a
shit about international agreements?  Bush thinks he's entitled
to declare anybody and everybody an "enemy combatant" and lock
them up in secret forever.  Add a moustache and he'd make a
pretty good Stalin.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! Now we can
                                  at               become alcoholics!