Python as alternative to Visual Basic

Aaron Ginn aaron.ginn at freescale.com
Mon Sep 20 12:47:04 EDT 2004

I'm investigating the feasibility of using Python instead of Visual
Basic for a commercial software package that I'm planning on developing.
  Now I'm absolutely a Python zealot.  I use it for most of my software
development at work where I work in a Solaris environment.  To me,
Python is the perfect language for most applications in a UNIX
environment where a compiled language is not required.  However, I'm not
so sure about Windows.

The software package I'm developing will make calls to Excel and Access
and requires a very usable GUI for users who are not particularly
computer literate.  My first question is: what is the best choice for a
GUI toolkit on Windows?  I've used Tkinter for UNIX to some degree of
success, but I'm not sure this is the best choice for Windows.  Second,
if I choose to make the application cross-platform (Windows and Mac OS X
in particular), what would be the best choice for a cross-platform GUI
toolkit?  I was thinking of looking at PyQt.  Is there a better option?

Basically, I'm trying to make a case for Python to the other developers
of this software package as I believe it offers numerous advantages over
VB in terms of speed of development, a quick learning curve, and
maintainability.  Can anyone help me make that case?

Thanks,
Aaron