up with PyGUI!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 02:52:28 EDT 2004

Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> The biggest problem for we third-world money-impaired users that many
> people don't realize is that we charge for our services in the local
> currency, but have to buy stuff in strong currency (dollars or euros).

Very good point, thanks.  So, comparative advantage suggests that you
guys should be the ones developing and selling general-purpose tools
through the internet to developers in the relatively richer countries,
while said developers in those countries should rather be doing custom
applications for their local customers.  Developing a tool such as, say,
BlackAdder or WingIDE, should cost MUCH less over there, yet if sales
are all done through the net it should not matter at all whether a tool
is written in Brazil or Norway.

Clearly it's not happening.  Even third-world countries with HUGE
presence in the IT industry, such as India, are totally concentrating on
developing custom applications, not tools for resale via the net.  As
far as I know all commercial IDE's and other tools of that ilk come from
Canada, the US, and the rich parts of Europe.  It's a puzzlement!

Alex