python is going to die! =(

marcus at deepfort.com marcus at deepfort.com
Mon Sep 20 07:10:31 EDT 2004

julio wrote:

>  Sorry but there is no another way, c# .net and mono are going to rip
>python, not because python is a bad lenguage, but because is to darn old
>and it refuses to innovate things, to fix wrong things, just because
>retarded backwards compatibility and because the python comunity and
>developers refuses to consider tools as being almost as important as the
>language itself.
>
>What does c# .net has that python doesnt ? (significant features)
>
>-- tools,tools,tools : have people that likes python ever used an ide? i
>mean a good ide, the one that saves you a lot of time, and makes you
>productive.
>
> looks like they havent, they think new people is willing to practice emacs
>for 6 months before even thinking about being productive, not to mention
>you have to learn 20 years old list, and low level c stuff to have fully
>advantage. Those guys are realy happy with their stuff that totaly,
>completly refuses to try a new tool, a new tool that 'is' better, like say,
>an ide??.
>
> Then we have the , you just need a text editor. This is realy amazing,
>tecnology improves, people have to change their way of thinking, i realy
>cant count the number of text editors avaiable for python, with basicaly
>just syntax highlighting.For example, idle :
>
> idle is just a text editor with syntax color,nothing else, then you see
>that half of buttons are so fucking retarded things that you never
>need,indentation stuff, replace tabs and all crap that you never realy
>need, the class browser and path browser were in the right way, before they
>got abandoned with just the most basic low functionality.
>
> No help in real programing? why? why do i need to press a retarded button
>to indent-deindent reindent stuff but i dont need help with integrated help
>system , code completion , source assistant , a freaking decent calltips
>support, etc ? It realy makes no sense , no sense at all.
>
> Why do these people keep reinventing text editors again and again and again
>to just add some retarded functionality that noone ever needs? pycrust ,
>drpython, leo , idle , eclipse plugins(py editors with color) they all love
>to reinvent the wheel instead of trying to work together on some common
>project to do something usefull, boy if i want a text editor with syntax
>color i just use vim,or kate or something.
>
>For the C # Side there IS :
>
> sharp develop, wich is going to be ported to linux and mac, and it is even
>better than vstudio! is open source .
>
> monodevelop , which is a little inestable but very very usable , and has
>real features!! proyect browsing , full calltips ,code completion,source
>help, doc help system , you know , productivity features.
>

> -- C # is almost perfetly designed, python is very well designed but it has
>some crap that obscurize it and is not going to be removed because of the
>damn backwards compatibility thing, C # has all the advantages there is
> [...]

I'm relatively new here, so I'll only briefly mention It'd be nice if
you could post with a civil keyboard.

Dabbing away the spittle for a moment, that troll-post contained a
nugget of truth.

A lot of Python users are open-minded enough to accept that huge bloated
IDEs are *very* useful in the right circumstances (even if they're not
our own circumstances), and intelligent enough to realize that the day
Microsoft produces the best and most useful tool for those *taking up*
the language, it's likely that the rest of us will get a lot of problems
and headaches from that (standard Python programs which rely on .NET
anyone?).

That's why there are a few different ways to get your hands on a python
IDE (especially if you're able to shell out some $) and that's why
despite the arguable dearth of really muscular and really free "visual
IDEs" for python, a lot of us are constantly covering ground in this
respect.

I'll stop, I've seen a lot of people respond to your posts, so with
respect to yourself, I'll sit back and see from your responses here
whether you were just fishing for flames or not.