Clickable (wx)python app in OS X

PhysicsGenius physics_seeker at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 25 13:35:12 EDT 2004

Chris McD wrote:
> PhysicsGenius wrote:
>
>> AAAAARRRRRRRRGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!  I hate Macs.
>>
>> I have a wxPython program.  It runs fine on OS X when I launch it from
>> the Terminal ("pythonw appname.py") .  The user wants to be able to
>> click it.  Two main suggestions on the Internet, neither of which
>> works:
>>
>> 1) "Use Platypus"  So I download it, upgrade Stuffit, install both,
>> figure out how to use it, create an app....and it doesn't work for
>> graphical apps.  Nice to know, thanks for telling me ahead of time!
>>
>> 2) "Just associate .py files with PythonInterpreter".  Sounds easy! So
>> I navigate to appname.py, Get Info, Open With, navigate to
>> PythonInterpreter....WhereTF is "PythonInterpreter"?  Not on the OS X
>> system anywhere and Google only finds a Python module.
>>
>> So, how do I create a clickable icon that will launch my wxPython
>> program?
>

> Well you are opening it with pythonw so why not associate *.py  with
> pythonw or python?
>
> Chris

I was pretty sure this was impossible, but I may
have done it.  For anyone else as frustrated as I
was (and still am, kinda): I associated .py with
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Resources/PythonLauncher.
  It still brings up a Terminal window, but at
least the app launches from a click.

Mac OS X: It Just Works (poorly)