python is going to die! =(

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Sep 22 02:56:20 EDT 2004

Dave Cook <davecook at nowhere.net> wrote:

>julio wrote:
>
>>   Sorry but there is no another way, c# .net and mono are going to rip
>> python, not because python is a bad lenguage, but because is to darn old
>
>I don't really get the connection between the two.  C# is a very different
>type of language, with a different market.

I have to say that I disagree.  Both are interpreted to an intermediate
language.  Both have a substantial built-in library.  Both are strongly
oriented towards network applications.  They are different, sure, but they
are not "very different", in the same way that Python and C++ are "very
different".

>And I still don't understand the "why" of mono.

Really?  It seems quite clear to me.  With Microsoft's considerable weight
behind it, for better or for worse, there are going to be a lot of .NET
managed applications built in the near future.  Thanks to Mono, all of
those application BINARIES will run on Linux.  Mono provides better support
immediately than what WINE provides after more than a decade.

I don't agree with the original poster, and we'll have to wait to see how
it all plays out, but the fact is that C# and the Common Language Runtime
really are a fundamentally good idea.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.